Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Owl City: Ocean Eyes


Every fool with a Macbook and Garage Band is now a musician-slash-rapper-slash-producer-slash-engineer. That being said, Adam Young is one fool I suffer gladly. A former Coca-Cola employee from Minnesota, Adam Young is known to the Billboard charts and iTunes as Owl City. Turning to music as means to cope with his insomnia, Adam used MySpace (like all those other fools) to peddle his synth heavy tracks and quirky vocals. After releasing the EP Of June in 2007 and the 2008 follow-up full length album Maybe I’m Dreaming in 2008, Owl City moved up to the major leagues after inking a deal with the record execs over at Universal Republic, subsequently bringing the world Ocean Eyes in the summer of 2009.

Being pop culturally stunted by the bind of nursing school, Owl City is a brand slappin’ new discovery to me, thanks in part to Target offering the hit album Ocean Eyes on sale this week for $11.98 and to my 8 year old nephew singing Fireflies on a perpetual loop. A former self-proclaimed hip-hop junkie (RIP Hip-Hop: 1979 - 2006), the rock appetizers I once nibbled on, have now become the entree. My tastes tend to run on the poppier side, with Paramore and No Doubt to the politico brand carved out by Mute Math, Green Day and Muse. That being said, Owl City is a grand departure from the heavy, philosophical, disect-the-lyrics-like-the-Da-Vinci-Code rock diet that I often consume.

Being a child of the 80s, I dig the synthesizer tracks with a shovel and Owl City’s light hearted, aquatic inspired, dreamy lyrical mix appease my inner child, with some brilliantly laid strings to feed my inner drama queen, all while keeping up with that driving, pulsing, head nodding quality that I love in my ROCK. Alterna-rock? Synth pop? Call it what you will, but Bridget calls is GOOD MUSIC. Ocean Eyes is a great way to reconcile some of your winter blues, kids! If you haven’t done it yet, get yourself to Target and pick up Owl City’s Ocean Eyes for $11.98.

Bridget’s Favorite Tracks: Cave In, Hello Seattle, Fireflies, Vanilla Twilight, Tidal Wave

No comments:

Post a Comment